Wednesday, October 9, 2013

On Letting them Be Little



I'm upstairs with the windows open on a beautiful Fall day.  The kids are snoozing..albeit a little later than I'd like, but I"ll take it.  We've been running crazy all day and I'm happy to have a free moment to collect my thoughts.  The vacuum is humming downstairs and I am feeling zero guilt about having someone help out with cleaning house.

I've been thinking a lot for probably a year about what to do about putting Carsyn in school.  I feel like without a doubt if she was my only one she'd have started at least 2 days a week at age 2.  The minute I found out we were having Hanky our family dynamic changed big time.

Rosie was able to retire and cut my work load in half.  I was able to be more of a SAHM and less of a mess of a WAHM/TYKTWM (take your kids to work mom).  Yep I made that up I think.  And for those that manage to work with your kids I applaud you.  You're awesome.  Its the hardest thing I do honestly.  The days I work with the kids Rosie watches them and my hands are still full.  They still need momma every now and then.

Back to the school thing.  I was not going to bring a new baby home in July and send Carsyn to school within a month of each other.  There was and is no doubt in my mind she'd resent that.  She wasn't potty trained(still isn't), paci broke(nope), and plain wasn't ready in my opinion.  I'm her momma and my opinion counts.

That first year with Hank flew by.  Y'all know what I'm talking about..You blink, they're sitting up, you blink, they're eating foods, you blink, they're walking.

And boom.  It was time to think I had missed the boat in putting Carsyn in school as it likely would have a wait list.  She'd be three and more than ready.  I pushed it to the back of my mind.  Dismissed it really.  And when I told people I felt like when I sent her to school I wanted to send Hank too I'd get looks of disapproval. Or I'd get people trying to talk me into letting her be her own person.  And I GET that.  Really I do.  I actually think she'd prosper at school.  She loves kids, loves learning, and listens better than W.. (Sorry hubby I love you though).

But here's the thing.  She's not home with me all day.  She goes to Rosie and Pops at least 3 days a week.  The same Rosie that taught Kindergarten for umpteen years and taught Carsyn all of her letters.  Even F and Q and Z and the hard ones.  The same Rosie that actually talked me out of putting Carsyn on a wait list.

The other days we go out and eat in a "restaurant"-Carsyn's favorite thing.

We go to the post office and I teach her how to mail a letter.

We go to the grocery store and she asks what every. single. item. on the shelf is.  And I answer half the time ;)

We go watch Maddox play baseball even though its 2 hours away.

We go to the park and feed the ducks.

We take Ranger and Wagon rides in the sticks.

We play tag and hide and seek with Rosie and Pops.

We go shopping...(Yep totally considered a learning experience).

We share toys with baby brother and try to teach him to color and draw and sometimes play Barbies.

We go to Bob Evans for breakfast dates and pancakes like we did this morning.



We prep dinner together.

We meet friends for lunch dates.

And on weekends we go to parties and church and enjoy socializing with our friends.

I feel like our weeks are spent with family and loved ones and while learning is not at the top of our agenda family is.  And family time trumps all.

So, for now my children will start school when I'm ready.  I'm just not willing to let go of midday nap cuddles, my late breakfast dates, and my mid morning play dates.

Now, if anyone wants to babysit a few hours a week so I can get a mani/pedi or hair appt kid free I'd totally be for that.



3 comments:

  1. I am SO with you on this. I take my son Harper (4) to Preschool Mon-Thurs (he has been going since age 2 1/2). The ONLY reason I put him in that early was because he wasn't talking as early as we and the Drs. thought he should. I put him in Preschool in September and my daughter was born in October. Oh yeah and we moved too. His first year was full of changes and he came home with a bad report almost every day. I contemplated pulling him out several time. Now that things are better with him, I get asked all the time "When are you going to put her in??" when I drop him off. I am just NOT ready for that. You know exactly what they need, momma, just go with your gut. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a bit past where u r ( kids r 16, 24, and 11) and I say --> God urges ur mommy heart where He wants it to be and you are obviously listening to His urging a rather than any societal ones. And, for that, you are to be commended, honored, applauded, and every other good thing. You will never, and I mean NEVER, regret it.

    "All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother." -Abraham Lincoln"All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother." -Abraham Lincoln

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so interesting because I thought of preschool in a totally different way! IMO, I don't think any kids " Need " school until they are school age ( 5) and anything up until that point is just for fun, and for me, I send Fenn to a MDO program so that I can get a break! lol. If I did not need that break, I would not send him because they learn so much from natural living .. heck even the iPad! He learned crazy things off that iPad, numbers, letters, songs, and he corrected me on a shape the other day a HEXAGON ha so I think it is sweet that they stay home with you, and wonderful! They are only little for so long, and they have to go to school FOREVER once they turn 5!

    ReplyDelete