Monday, April 8, 2013

Self Image and Social Media

There's a lot on my mind.  My mind is always going in a million different directions and I'm sure if you read my blog you notice run on sentences and grammatical errors.  I cringe if I happen to reread something I've written and find it loaded with misspelled words.  And it happens.  But I'm human... and that makes you like me better right?

The social media world is mind boggling if you really think about it.  I blog, I pin (rarely), I tweet (even more rarely), and I instagram.  Its my social life!  My facebook was hacked and I never started it back.  I always felt pressured to comment on every one's picture.  And I swear I'd wake up in the morning, scroll through my feed and feel awful if I"d forgotten someone's birthday. Instagram is my favorite social media tool right now.  Its SO easy to hit the like button and if you follow me you'll see that I do that quite a lot.  Its very easy to keep up with many followers on IG; Unlike blogging where I sometimes feel I'm letting my readers and those I read down.

Do you do that?  Do you feel awful if you read some one's post and don't comment? I do! But I read on my phone or..gasp while my children are playing quietly and just don't have the time.  Or mean to go back to comment and find its midnight and the laundry is still piled high and I haven't showered. Priorities, people.

When I started blogging I'd do a little jump for joy every time I got a new follower.  I'd secretly squeal with delight at each comment.  If I read a popular blog and the author followed up with an email I'd be so tickled-my voice was being heard!!!  On the flip side if I wrote a blog post I thought everyone would  find funny or enlightening only to stare at the 0 comments tab over and over I"d want to cry.  Darnit, why don't people like me?

I'm a firm believer in karma, in you get what you give.  I've been pretty lousy lately at keeping up with my favorite bloggers- IRL friends that I often text and devoutly read, just rarely comment.  Also, I've been really bad at taking note of my new followers. I want to follow you back!! I know its impossible and time will not allow me to read every blog out there, but if you're tuning into me I want to tune into you.  That makes sense, right?

And if you're tuning into me you know I"m having a little health issue.  A health issue that has caused me to finally reach the number on the scale I've wanted to be at, yet be disgusted I didn't do it the healthy way.  But, last Saturday I got a spray tan and got dressed up for the first time in forever and took a pic to share on IG.


Y'all left me some AMAZING comments and boy did my self esteem soar!  Isn't it awesome what a few kind words can do?  So, you want to join me?

Let's make an effort to be more courteous, more complimentary, more socially aware.  It may take you 5 seconds or 5 minutes, but a kind word can do so much.

Thank you SO MUCH for reading this little blog of mine.  I hope to be a better blogger in the future!  

7 comments:

  1. not sure how I missed this picture...but I LOVE IT! You look wonderful! Life is busy sister---don't feel bad. But I agree on the KIND words. Those are the best ones to speak! Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you have been having some health issues. It's so hard to care for yourself with little ones...hope things are getting better. Love your outfit! Don't be too hard on yourself-no one can do it all:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally understand! Ever since I started working again I feel like I don't have anytime to read blogs let alone comment! You look amazing and you know your "blog" friends are here for u!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look amazing and I want that skirt! This post is just one of the many reasons why I love you girl. You are always so sweet and thoughtful. Everyone gets busy and lives get hectic but whether you know it or not, you do take the time to "like" the pictures or give an uplifting comment. So glad to call you a friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the first time I have read your blog, I just happened upon through my friend Lynsey's blog but I think you made a great point. I know the blog is just for myself, for the memories, but I can't help but get caught up in trying to have time reading other blogs, like and comment on other pics, etc. (As I type this my husband it telling me I need to be getting ready for work ha!)Sweet blog though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel the same way about social media so often. It's a crazy little world we have here. Also, you are stunning. I'm way jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't know you blogged!!! So glad we found each other on IG!! I'm not aware of your health issue so I am about to stalk your blog!! MUAH!!

    ReplyDelete