Heaven gained an angel recently as my beloved grandmother joined my grandfather. Ado was such a classy lady; An amazing cook and an even more amazing mother and grandmother. Words can't do her justice really. After I graduated college I returned home to work for my dad who lives next door to my grandma. My mornings would be spent over coffee and banana bread listening to her words of wisdom. Sound a little too idyllic? It was. Too bad I didn't realize what a gift I had.
Maybe you've heard some of these before, but maybe not. I'll even include a recipe for her cranberry salad.
* True friends don't care if your house is dirty or messy. They're there for your company. And if they do think or say something of it they're not your true friend anyway. (Somehow she always told me this, but her house is always spotless and perfect..hmmm.)
* If you're a hound dog, be a hound dog all the time. I think she means no one likes someone two faced. I'd rather you be an evil witch all the time than have an alter ego.
* If you REALLY want something you'll find a way to get it. Life's about choices..choose wisely and you'll get everything you wish for.
* Never, ever try out a new recipe on guests.
* Also, never tweak a recipe until you've made it once.
* Glasses make just dandy biscuit cutters. (And rolling pins if necessary)
* Marshmallow creme is the secret to a good meringue.
* Store bought eggs will never make a fluffy cake like farm fresh ones. (Yes, I was spoiled and had fresh eggs up until a few years ago)
* Get up, get showered, and get dressed for the day. It doesn't hurt to put in a full days of house work, or whatever "dolled" up. And you're ready for unexpected guests too!
* Even a barn looks better painted. Ha-I think she might have stole this from someone else.
* Though she never said it I don't think I ever saw her wear pants to church. I still can't. Sundays if I'm in church I"m in a dress or skirt.
* Everyone should put out their own garden, even if its a little one or a tomato plant in a bucket.
* Always overcook and overdress. You never want to be under dressed for an occasion or even worse, run out of food.
* Always ask anyone who enters your home if they'd like anything to drink.
* Cook for your friends! Or the plumber who came and rescued your kitchen sink.
* Good chicken and dumplings start with a fresh hen. (Sorry, but gag-can't do this one)
* A new outfit is the best confidence booster!
* It doesn't take a whole lot of time to pick up everyday, but it will take FOREVER if you let things pile up for a week. Funny, I always think of her when I throw my clothes on the floor.
Ado's Cranberry Salad
Prepare 2 small boxes of raspberry jello according to box directions. Place in refrigerator to begin setting.
Place in a food grinder- 1 bag cranberries, 1 orange (unpeeled and sliced), 1 lemon (unpeeled and sliced). Set aside.
Mix together 3 cups of sugar and 1 large can crushed pineapple (undrained). Stir in 2 cups of chopped pecans.
Once jello begins setting mix all together. Refrigerate overnight.